(makes 2.5 lbs)
- 4oz Apple (coarsely grated)
- 8oz Currants
- 4oz each of Raisins, Sultanas and Mixed Peel
- 2oz Cherries
- 1 Large Lemon
- 4oz each of Brown Sugar and Suet or Butter
- 1 teaspoon Mixed Spice & Grated Nutmeg
- 4 tbsp of Brandy, Whiskey or Sherry
- 4ozs chopped almonds.
- (Use Juice and grated rind of the lemon)
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Put into jars and seal as for jam.
Melted Oat Mix Biscuits
Mix together 8 ozs. S.R. Flour, 8 ozs. Porridge oats, 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda.
Melt together 8 ozs. Butter, 8 ozs. Sugar and 2 rounded tablespoons golden syrup. Heat through gently stirring mixture until melted Remove from heat and pour into flour mixture. Mix well.
Grease 9″ × 12″ tin and smooth the mixture in. Cook for approx. 20–25 mins. At Gas 4 (180° C/350° F). Cut into fingers before cool.
For variety, add any of the following: 4 ozs. of nuts, raisins, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, cherries,etc.