Grow your own Vitamin C in Ireland? Grow spuds!
Find out how at The 12th Annual Potato Day
at The Organic Centre
Sunday 13th March 2011 from 11am -5pm
with a special feature on “SAVE the BEES”
Potatoes are not only a nutritional powerhouse they are also delicious and versatile to use in dishes. Not only does a potato give you an energising supply of complex carbohydrates, but it also provides important vitamins and minerals, including potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B6. 100grms of freshly harvested spuds, boiled in their skin gives about 50% of an adult’s daily recommended intake of Vitamin C. For a substantial helping of fibre eat potatoes with the skin.
One of the reasons for the growing popularity of potatoes is that they are relatively easy to grow and make a good crop for beginners and more experienced gardeners. Another reason is they can be grown in polytunnels and outdoors and early varieties have become more popular, because they can be harvested before blight might strike.
The Organic Centre specialises in trialling many organic seed potatoes including the new blight resistant Sarpo Mira. More than 15 varieties of seed potatoes will be for sale on the day and Dave Langford will be back with his hugely popular collection of more than 150 varieties
If you want to grow potatoes this is the day where you will find all the information you ever need to know!
- Dave Langford’s collection of more than 150 varieties of potatoes
- Demonstrations on coping and lazy beds
- Planting and Growing tips
- Information on varieties
- How to deal with blight
- Guided tours with a special feature on polytunnels
- and a very special feature on “Save the Bees” by the local Beekeeping Association
- The Grass Roof Cafe will be open for Potato Dishes
- Information on GIY, with a view to set up a Leitrim Group
Tickets are €5, children and friends are free (bring your friend’s card)