Lackagh Museum & Community Development Association latest publication ‘Carnoneen Chapel’ which tells of six hundred years and the story is excellently told by local historian Michael J Hurley. Carnoneen is the old name for what we know today as Lackagh village and means ‘the cairn of the daisies’ and it was fitting that the history of the church and the priests who served here should be produced on the 600th anniversary of the arrival of the first recorded priest in Lackagh, Fr. Florence Kearney in 1419.
The full-colour book charts the history of the churches in Lackagh parish along with the old graveyard (St. Colmcille’s Church ruin), local Lisheens, Mass paths, and some churches in the neighbourhood.
Some 200 photographs, maps, and illustrations enhance the publication which includes many pictures of local people at gatherings and events.
It deals at length on the careers here of all recorded pastors staring with Rev. Florence Kearney in 1419.
The book is available in local shops for €10 and from Lackagh Museum members. All proceeds from the sale of the publication will be donated towards the running and upkeep of Lackagh Museum.