There was a large entry from the local schools for the Community Games Art Competition. They would like to thank all the schools who took the time to allow for the competition and especially to the teachers who gave their time to the children. The organisers would like also to congratulate all who entered with their beautiful paintings and drawings and special congratulations to the winners. The winners in each category were as follows:
- Girls U8—1st Clodagh Raftery, Island. 2nd Aoife Noone, Crusheen. 3rd Claire Downes, Cahergowan.
Boys U8—1st Nathan Coen, Athenry. 2nd Paraic O’Brien, Coolarne. 3rd Christopher Burke, Coolarne.
- Girls U10—1st Rachel Stewart, Loughgeorge. 2nd Rachel Creaven, Lackaghmore. 3rd Leigh Jordan, Cahergowan.
Boys U10—1st Michael Evans, Lakeview. 2nd Diarmaid Gavid, Kilskeagh. 3rd Owen McDonagh, Montiagh.
- Girls U12—1st Lorna Duggan, Cregmore. 2nd Aine McLoughlin, Bawnmore. 3rd Alison Raftery, Island.
Boys U12—1st Shane Brennan, Loughgeorge. 2nd Padraic Noone, Crusheen. 3rd Joseph Monaghan, Summerfield.
- Girls U14—1st Marian Brannelly, Waterview. 2nd Claire O’Hara, Cregmore. 3rd Karen Tracey, Kilskeagh.
Boys U14—1st David Feeney, Grange. 2nd Seamus Madden, Cartymore.
- Girls U16—1st Kiera Tracey, Kilskeagh.
Medals were presented to all winners at a special function.
All first place winners of Claregalway-Lackagh Community Games represented the area in the County Final recently. In U14 girls, Marion Brannelly did the area proud bringing home a bronze medal.
A small number of children from the area competed in the county U12 and U14 Cross County Competition. First six home will represent the county in Mosney in May. In the U12 Girls Aine McLoughlin, Knockdoe, came home 5th followed by Roísín Gavin, Kilskeagh. In the U14 boys, Thomas Walsh, Lydican finished a gallant 2nd place. Heartiest congratulations to all three who are on the county team and will compete on the weekend of May 21st to 23rd in Mosney, Co. Meath.