Posted by in Sport.

U12 City League Final

Carnmore 2–4 Moycullen 0–2
Carnmore claimed their first title of the season with a fine win over Moycullen. On their way to the final Carnmore had victories over Sylane, Moycullen, Oranmore, Spiddal and Rahoon. On the day of the final Carnmore were faced by a physically big and strong Moycullen side and at the outset it looked like it was going to be a difficult task to overcome them. Carnmore had beaten them in an earlier encounter but on that occasion it was close. On this day though the young skillful Carnmore side were really on song and scored two critical goals, the first during a tight first half period and the second a goal to grace any occasion in the second half. Danny Cummins gathered the ball in his own half, delivered a pass to Donnie Fox who burst his way through to the 20 meter mark before laying a pass to Stephen Nally who drove a tremendous shot to the top corner of the net. This goal sealed Carnmore’s fate and crowned them City League champions for 2002.

U12 Championship

Carnmore 4–8 Rahoon 1–1
On a very windy day in Westside Carnmore overcame a game Rahoon side in the first round of the U12 championship. Conditions were difficult but on the day Carnmore took advantage of the wind in the second half to run up a considerable score.

Carnmore 2–8 Oranmore/Maree 1–0
Carnmore piled on incessant pressure to the Oranmore /Maree goalmouth during this encounter which in the end paid of with some fine points scored from open play.

Carnmore 2–3 Liam Mellows 2–2
A very close contested game with Carnmore running out winners by a single score. Emmett Feeney had a good game in the goal making some critical saves while Michael Caufield had a commanding game out the field. On the day the goals by Stephen Nally and Philip Noone were got at critical times in the game.

Larry Carroll U14

Turloughmore 4–3 Carnmore 0–3
The Larry Carroll tournament with teams from Turloughmore, Abbeyknockmoy, Annaghdown and Carnmore was played to the end of May. Carnmore reached the final but on the day were outplayed and outscored by a strong Turloughmore side.

U14 Championship

Carnmore exited the championship at the end of May when they were beaten in Ballindereen by Tynagh. Unfortunately conditions for this match were atrocious and was difficult for both sets of players. Carnmore had started the championship well with good wins over Abbeyknockmoy in a tough match, a win over Liam Mellows in a very one sided game, a loss to Cappataggle by 1 point in a very exciting game and a win over Moycullen in the preliminary Quarter final. Unfortunately they met with a game Tynagh side in the Quarter final proper and it was not to be for Carnmore in 2002.

Community Games

The Galway community games were played in Lackagh on the 22nd of June. For this tournament it was and interesting partnership of Carnmore/Claregalway joined with Turloughmore/Lackagh. The side was coached by John Carr, Pat Burke, Gerry Fox, John Fox and Tony Badger. In the first game Claregalway/Lackagh defeated a fancied Athenry side, who had already beaten Clarinbridge by a single point. The Claregalway/Lackagh side ran up a 11–9 to 2–4 scoreline with the final goal coming from Damian Carr just before full time.

Claregalway/Lackagh faced Killimor in the final. Killimor had already beaten Moycullen in an earlier round. The final was a good game of hurling with great scores got by both sides. Claregalway/Lackagh had played with the wind in the first half and led by 2–4 to 1–2 at the break. Was it to be enough? In the second half Claregalway/Lackagh with good performances from Danny Cummins and Gary Burke, went up a gear, scored a further goal and 6 points and ran out winners on a scoreline of 3–10 to 2–6.

The team now goes forward to the Connaught final on the 20th of July in Castlebar.