Lackagh Museum & Community Development Association are pleased to announce that ther latest publication ‘Carnoneen Chapel’ will be launched following 7.30pm Mass on this Saturday 1st June in Carnoneen Centre at Lackagh.
The launch ceremony will be performed by former Parish Priest Fr. John D. Flannery. Carnoneen is the old name for what we know today as Lackagh village and means ‘the cairn of the daisier’.
It is fitting that this history of the church and the priests who served here should be launched by Fr. John D. as this year marks the 60th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood, and the 600th anniversary of the arrival of the first recorded priest in Lackagh, Fr. Florence Kearney in 1419.
The full-colour book charts the history of the churches in Lackagh parish along with the old graveyard (St. Colmcille’s Church ruin), local Lisheens, Mass paths, and some churches in the neighbourhood.
Some 200 photographs, maps, and illustrations enhance the publication which includes many pictures of local people at gatherings and events.
It deals at length on the careers here of all recorded pastors starting with Rev. Florence Kearney in 1419.
The book, written by Michael J. Hurley will be available for €10, but with a special launch offer of two copies for €15 to facilitate the purchase of a copy for parishioners, families, and friends who may be away from home. As is normal practice all proceeds from the sale of this publication will be donated towards the running and upkeep of Lackagh Museum.