Our U14 team finished the playing year in style by winning the City League. This gives us a double for 1999, with the U10s already victorious.
After a long year (those girls started training 1st Feb. for County Competitions) the girls qualified for the semi-final with victories over Abbeyknockmoy, Salthill, Moycullen and Cois Fharraige.
The semi-final was a real Derby affair between ourselves and Oranmore-Maree. The match was played in Westside,and Carnmore came out on top after some anxious moments towards the end.
In the final we were up against Castlegar. The game was played in Moycullen, and a good Crowd travelled to support the team. In an even enough 1st half we got on top just before the break, and at half time led by 2–0 to 0–1.
In the 2nd half we went further ahead before Castlegar battled back, but our girls were equal To the challenge, and the match finished on a scoreline of Carnmore 3–2,Castlegar 2–1.
The sound of the fulltime whistle was greeted with delight by the team and supporters.
The team were given a tremendous welcome home, with bonfires blazing along the route, before arriving at the Carnmore Centre where the team and supporters enjoyed some tasty refreshments.
This was a well deserved victory by a fairly dedicated group of girls, who have put in a lot of effort and at last have been rewarded. Our congratulations to the entire panel, and their trainer Packie Fox .
This was a 12 a-side competition, and for the record the team was: Hannah Coen, Caroline Fox, Suzanne O’Connell, Alva Mchugh, Jean Talbot, Deirdre Lardiner, Sarah Fox, Lisa McHugh, Grainne Kenny, Aoife Kenny, Ruth Talbot, Luigsighe Kenny, with substitutes Laura Tyrell, Jessica Brennan, Mary Nash, Mary Lardiner, Vanessa Molloy, Fiona Dillon, Lorna Dillon, Sarah Carton, Carol McKiernan, Estella Keary and Niamh Thornton.
This brings our playing year to a close, and we would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the support throughout the year of:
- The parents throughout the year for their support in many different ways.
- All our team mentors who put a lot of time into the years activities.
- Carmore Hurling Club who provided us with pitch and dressing room facilities all year.
- Tomas Grealish, Declan O’Brien and all in the Juvenile club who helped a lot with training etc.
- John Carr, Eddie and all the Centre Committee for their help and encouragement throughout the year.
- Our Jersey sponsor Liam Glynn of Airport Stores.
- Carmel & Jackie Kenny (J&C), and Ger Crowe of Irish Life for club sponsorship.
- Nuacht Chláir for reporting on our Activities.
- Last but not least, the girls themselves for a lot of effort throughout the year.
Finally we would like to wish all a happy Christmas and New year, and hoping for the best in the next century.